[Eug-lug] Gnuing on OSX

T. Joseph CARTER knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Sat Jan 22 16:13:41 PST 2005

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 06:09:12PM +0000, fleming.j at comcast.net wrote:
> I am trying to sort out all the different options for Gnu on OSX. I am
> downloading XCode-1.5 to begin, but I've seen so many ways to install
> stuff (Darwin ports, fink, etc ) I was hoping to get a quick opinion or
> comparision from the experienced OSX users.  Fire when ready.

You want fink.  The developers are reasonably with it, the tree is
reasonably large, and the dependency checking is reasonably based on
Debian's dpkg, though it is currently mostly a build from source setup,
like darwinports.  You also don't get as much attitude from the developers
when you need to ask a question about something.