[Eug-lug] Bandwidth limiting for apache2?

larry price laprice at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 11:18:57 PST 2005

google isn't giving me any love on this one.

II'm trying to limit bot attacks against a webserver.

I'm looking for a way to cap requests on a per ip basis,
but don't want to block legitimate requests at all,
I also want to be able to automatically detect, record, and block new attacks.

I was looking at mod_throttle and mod_bandwidth but they are strictly for 1.3

Is this a problem that is better dealt with at the packet filtering level?

would it be worthwhile to attempt to port one of the aforementioned
modules to apache 2.0 ?

It's more important that requests be limited than that total outgoing
bandwidth be limited and I have no problem with returning a 403 error
to offending requests.

Suggestions? Comments? Places to look for more docs.?

--
http://Zoneverte.org -- information explained
Do you know what your IT infrastructure does?