[Eug-lug] Local dial tone providers - Qwest alternatives?

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Tue Jan 18 16:19:24 PST 2005

larry price wrote:

>what is the quality level like for Vonage?

While I can't say it's perfect, I can say that I've been really pleased.
I set up a QoS rule to give my adapter absolute priority through the
firewall. I haven't had any dropped calls. Every once in a while I get
echo for a second or two, but then it clears up. I figure it's a packet
or two getting lost.

>I know that Vonage and other VOIP companies have built/leased High
>Speed Backbone networks and some of the Cisco stuff I've been reading
>goes into excruciating detail about bad things that can happen if you
>don't properly allocate bandwidth for latency sensitive services (like
>VOIP).

While it's sensitive to bandwidth, it's requirements aren't that great.
Something like 96kbps. The adapter itself will do QoS if you put it
between your firewall and your dsl/cable adapter. It takes what it needs
and gives you the rest. I chose to have it plugged into my hub and do
the QoS in my firewall.

When no calls are active, it maintains a UDP connection to the Vonage
servers. That takes little to no bandwidth. When a call comes in/goes
out, another connection opens for the call itself.

>It strikes me that VOIP is like many other services we've seen, where
>the intial wave of popularity runs into the limitations of the
>infrastructure and puts providers into a race to build out their
>networks to handle the anticipated demand, while trying to keep costs
>down, and prices competitive.

Well, as long as the pipe from the 'net to the Vonage servers is large
enough, the rest is up to the end users and making a good choice for an
ISP.

Russ