[Eug-lug] Local dial tone providers - Qwest alternatives?

larry price laprice at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 15:48:20 PST 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:04:00 -0800, Russ Johnson <russj at dimstar.net> wrote:
> Alan wrote:
>
> > Well, that doesn't matter to me so much, since my current landline
> > phone doesn't ring in Portland either. heh.
>

> Here's another advantage to Vonage (and other VoIP providers... ).
>
> If I came to visit, and you had broadband, I can bring my VoIP adapter
> and a phone. Now my number rings at your house. :)

Russ,

what is the quality level like for Vonage?

Any dropouts, echo, distortion, etc. ?

I know that Vonage and other VOIP companies have built/leased High
Speed Backbone networks and some of the Cisco stuff I've been reading
goes into excruciating detail about bad things that can happen if you
don't properly allocate bandwidth for latency sensitive services (like
VOIP).

It strikes me that VOIP is like many other services we've seen, where
the intial wave of popularity runs into the limitations of the
infrastructure and puts providers into a race to build out their
networks to handle the anticipated demand, while trying to keep costs
down, and prices competitive.

--
http://Zoneverte.org -- information explained
Do you know what your IT infrastructure does?