[Eug-lug] Local dial tone providers - Qwest alternatives?

Hal Pomeranz hal at deer-run.com
Tue Jan 18 09:12:34 PST 2005

> I wonder if anyone has considered using one of the VOIP solutions
> for phones. I know someone in portland who has done this.
>
> I don't remember the company, but they provide a VOIP gateway to
> the network and give you a regular phone number.

Vonage is one company that does this.

> This assumes you have a non-qwest network at home that is fast enough.

I've been pondering the IP phone solution, and the only thing that
stops me is the "all eggs in one basket" problem.  Or, "How am I going
to make a call to my ISP when my Internet service goes down?"  The
correct answer here, of course, is "my cell phone" so I don't know
what my problem is really.  Feh... maybe I should switch.

John, do you remember the SAO get-together in Corvallis a few months
ago?  There was a CLEC positioned right next door to the Alpha-Omega
table, but I can't remember their name.  Do you remember?  I was
thinking this might be an option for people who want local non-Qwest
POTS lines.

Hal Pomeranz, Founder/CEO      Deer Run Associates      hal at deer-run.com
    Network Connectivity and Security, Systems Management, Training