[Eug-lug] Local dial tone providers - Qwest alternatives?

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Tue Jan 18 09:21:09 PST 2005

Hal Pomeranz <hal at deer-run.com> writes:

 % Vonage is one company that does this.

 Yes, and Skype... But neither of these are the one. This one
 was doing redirection and providing more traditional services.

 % > This assumes you have a non-qwest network at home that is fast enough.

 % I've been pondering the IP phone solution, and the only thing that
 % stops me is the "all eggs in one basket" problem.  Or, "How am I going
 % to make a call to my ISP when my Internet service goes down?"  The
 % correct answer here, of course, is "my cell phone" so I don't know
 % what my problem is really.  Feh... maybe I should switch.

 The real question is what are you doing to get redundant networks
 to your house, so that your IP network is redundant. So that the
 answer becomes use the other pipe.

 % John, do you remember the SAO get-together in Corvallis a few months
 % ago?  There was a CLEC positioned right next door to the Alpha-Omega
 % table, but I can't remember their name.  Do you remember?  I was
 % thinking this might be an option for people who want local non-Qwest
 % POTS lines.

 They were Oregon Telcom.

 The are re-emerging as a new company.

 They resell Qwest lines, but do all the customer service themselves.
 They are oriented on the business market.

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively
                             .