[Eug-lug] How about that New HP unit.

perdurabo perdurabo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 11:54:14 PST 2005

This is probably a bit misleading to the layman. Most of us in the
SageTV community (and Frey recommends) have a WinTV-PVR card with
hardware MPEG2 encoding and decoding. So yes, it does use very little
CPU power. I leave my SageTV processes up and running while I play
Grand Theft Auto: VC, for example, with little slowdown.

Also with these cards, they pipe everything having to do with SageTV
out of the WinTV card's video outs, instead of your normal video card,
so you're perfectly free to use your Windows desktop while SageTV is
running. I'm not sure how they're doing this in the Linux version, but
I suspect they're doing it the same exact way as MythTV does it.

per

PS: I also used to cat/dd from /dev/video to record mpeg streams under
Linux. Twas pretty cool.