[Eug-lug] How about that New HP unit.

Jacob Meuser jakemsr at jakemsr.com
Thu Jan 13 12:20:17 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:07:12AM -0800, perdurabo wrote:
> Windows MCE2005 is light years better than previous versions. Everyone
> else seems to like 2005 a lot too. It's a shame about the DRM, and
> Microsoft's history with DRM though.
>
> I currently use SageTV, which is an excellent and fairly inexpensive
> app. It currently runs on Windows, although they announced a Linux
> version at CES and they have more information at their site:
> http://sage.tv
>
> There's also GB-PVR, which is a free .NET app for Windows, and it
> looks pretty darned cool, although not quite enough to make me switch
> from SageTV yet. and of course, I always keep an eye on MythTV, but
> its still too glitchy for me to commit to.

heck, I just wrote some small apps to set the tuner and grab raw
frames from the capture card, and one to grab raw PCM from the sound
card.  stop and start 'em from cron.  filter/modify/encode later.

I'm highly skeptical of the following claim on sage.tv,

"On average, SageTV uses less than 5% of your PC's system resources
and allows you to use other programs while recording television.
This performance-saving feature allows you to get DVD quality
recordings without any sacrifice to your productivity."

5% of system resources to capture and encode for DVD?  _maybe_ if it
captures to raw format, and then encodes (slowly) later.

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>