[Eug-lug] This week's meeting - back to basics (and components)

T. Joseph CARTER knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Thu Jan 13 13:08:45 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:57:42AM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
> > For my second trick of the evening, I'm going to use a live Linux CD
> > (probably Knoppix or Ubuntu or something) to make the system work.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing Ubuntu or SimplyMepis, as I've never seen
> those distros.

I'm interested in knowing how Gnoppix and Ubuntu are related these days,
they appear to have been seperate things from the websites.

Other CDs I am bringing with me:

 - Knoppix 3.7
 - GoboLinux (I want to see it, if only for its non-traditional layout)
 - xfld (XFCE is like Gnome on a diet, only not obnoxious!)
 - mGSTEP demo disc (another I want to see it thing)
 - Some evil OS
 - Maybe some other non-evil OS

> I installed Xandros on Anne's laptop yesterday.  I think I'll mail out
> a mini review.  Spoiler: installing Knoppix today.

Heh.  =)

> > If you really want to see this process start to finish, please let me know
> > so that I don't start before you arrive.  ;)
>
> I've seen hardware, thanks.  If you really want to see hardware
> assembly, give Mr. O a box of parts.  In the time that you or I would
> look through the box and see what's in there, Mr. O will have pulled
> everything out and built the system.

I figured that some of the guys who haven't much experience with the
innards of a modern system would be interested in seeing how one goes
together.

I am wondering about thermal pad removal, which is a bit of an advanced
topic I suppose.  I've got a tube of Arctic Silver laying about from when
I installed the PAL 8045 on my old Duron 800.  (Ever see a fanless Duron?
This wasn't fanless, but I built it so that if the fan died while I was
gone for a week, the Duron would not overheat!)

> > BTW, hey Mike, does computerbase happen to have thumbscrews?  This thing
> > (ASUS Terminator) has two screws, one of them is a pretty standard type,
> > the other would be if not for being rather long.  If you've got them, I'm
> > interested.  Given how cheap this thing is, it's amazingly easy to get at
> > its innards after you take out those two screws.  It'd be so much nicer if
> > you didn't have to worry about them.  =)
>
> I have some.  I will try to show up tonight, if I can find Jamie's
> house.

211 monroe, with a darimart about half a block away.  =)