[Eug-lug] New computer still not working...

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Sat Jan 8 11:26:41 PST 2005

I still dont have this working. Ive been trying to figure out how the best way
to get it working. I think ive given up on the sis 180 controller. Even
though its "supported" and the driver loads for it, nothing ive done has
gotten it to work, and ive wasted a week trying.

It has another pair of ide channels, the primary one is ata 133, and the
secondary is ata 100.
I have these drives:
2x 200gb ata133 ide maxtor drives.
1x 160gb ata133 ide maxtor drive.
1x CD/DVDR

The way your supposed to hook this up, would be with the 160 on /dev/hda, dvdr
on /dev/hdc, and the 200gb disks as master/slave on the sis 180.

This would give me the system on the 160 drive, access to the dvdr (on a ata33
bus), and the raid array (raid0) as data.

Since Im blue in the face from trying for over a week to get that damn 180
controller (not)working, (and its not showing me any errors, none of the help
ive gotten has worked, near as i can tell it should work, but donsn't).

If I do the software raid, it wants those drives to be master (identical disks
on identical controllers), then im going to have an issue with ata100
controller, and ata133 controller, and how am I going to boot the 160gb disk?
and or put the dvdr?

I went by stans yesterday, and he sells cheapo ide raid controllers that shoud
work, but he wont have any till next week.

I checked into returning these drives for sata drives, but that will cost an
extra $100, and I will end up with 160gb disks instead of 200gb.

Ideally, I would like this to work as advertised, but at this point, im so
damn frustrated that im looking at any alternative that will work.

Jamie

--
Besides, its really not worthwhile to use more than two times your physical
ram in swap (except in a select few situations). The performance of the system