[Eug-lug] usb floppy??

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Tue Aug 31 07:18:02 PDT 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 02:05 pm, Bob Miller wrote:
: Max Lemieux wrote:
: > Ah. Thanks for the correction. I've noticed that all USB storage devices
: > (generally memory cards) load as /dev/sda, didn't think about floppies
: > falling under that category. Guess I shouldn't complain unless I'm
: > willing to rewrite usb-storage. ;)
:
: If you have an external USB drive, a memory stick, an iPod, and a
: floppy, they ALL show up as /dev/sda.  Unless you have more than one
: plugged in at once, then the later ones are /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc, ...

My pcmcia memory card comes up as hde (ide device), which is one of the
reasons I like it better than the usb drive....

:
: This makes it hard to write scripts that access the transient
: peripherals -- their names keep changing.

I belive that you can do this with hotplug. every device has a manfid, which
is used in pcmcia to determine driver and settings for the device, I havent
tried it myself, but Ill bet you can do the same thing with usb via hotplug.

:
: You'll have the same problem when you use extra network interface in
: your laptop.  Mine has two built in, and I can see legitimate reasons
: for using three at once.
heh I had 3 net devices running on this lappy for a week (just for fun). It
was interesting to see how things routed about the 3 devices.  (BTW the 3
devices were: 100BT Ethernet, 802.11b, 802.11g.  I found that most of the
time the built in 802.11b was fine by itself most of the time, but
transferring large files was really worth hooking up the wire. I also found
that 802.11g was almost as fast as a wire.

:
: Is there any good solution?

hotplug ?

--
In short, at least give the penguin a fair viewing. If you still don't
like it, that's ok: that's why I'm boss. I simply know better than you do.