[Eug-lug] Debian equivalent of rpm -V?

John Sechrest sechrest at peak.org
Tue Aug 24 11:50:34 PDT 2004

I know there is a way to do this. I think it is a dpkg command.
I am not clear what it is.

I thought I might find it here:

http://xtronics.com/reference/rpm2apt-dpkg.htm

but did not

Hal Pomeranz <hal at deer-run.com> writes:

 % For various reasons, I'm experimenting with Debian these days and
 % trying to get the hang of it after using mostly RedHat for my Linux
 % needs.  I don't want to open a religious war on .rpm vs .deb, but is
 % there a dpkg or apt-* equivalent of "rpm -V"?  For those who haven't
 % experienced the joy (*ahem*) of rpm, "rpm -V" compares the installed
 % version of the files in a package against what the RPM database thinks
 % they should look like.  This includes checking things like the file
 % size, time stamps, permissions/ownerships, and an MD5 checksum on the
 % file.  You can use it like a quick and dirty integrity checking tool,
 % ala AIDE or Tripwire.
 %
 % --
 % Hal Pomeranz, Founder/CEO      Deer Run Associates      hal at deer-run.com
 %     Network Connectivity and Security, Systems Management, Training
 % EUGLUG mailing list
 % euglug at euglug.org