[Eug-lug] Debian equivalent of rpm -V?

Hal Pomeranz hal at deer-run.com
Tue Aug 24 11:55:27 PDT 2004

For various reasons, I'm experimenting with Debian these days and
trying to get the hang of it after using mostly RedHat for my Linux
needs.  I don't want to open a religious war on .rpm vs .deb, but is
there a dpkg or apt-* equivalent of "rpm -V"?  For those who haven't
experienced the joy (*ahem*) of rpm, "rpm -V" compares the installed
version of the files in a package against what the RPM database thinks
they should look like.  This includes checking things like the file
size, time stamps, permissions/ownerships, and an MD5 checksum on the
file.  You can use it like a quick and dirty integrity checking tool,
ala AIDE or Tripwire.

Hal Pomeranz, Founder/CEO      Deer Run Associates      hal at deer-run.com
    Network Connectivity and Security, Systems Management, Training