[Eug-lug] Setting up DNS

Garl Grigsby badd_karma at comcast.net
Sat Aug 21 20:02:52 PDT 2004

I am trying to setup DNS from scratch for the first time and I am
running into a small problem. I occasionally get a time out when trying
to resolve an IP address. When I get these failures if I immediately try
the request again, the address is returned with no delay. In trying to
debug this problem I am running named in the foreground with the debug
switch turned on. When ever I have one of these failures, I will see a
group of messages similar to the following:

Aug 21 19:42:00.802 createfetch: www.blackbox.com.mydomain.com A
Aug 21 19:42:00.863 createfetch: www.blackbox.com A
Aug 21 19:42:01.027 no_references: delete from rbt: 0x9774338
dbru.br.ns.els-gms.att.NET
Aug 21 19:42:01.028 no_references: delete from rbt: 0x9774338
dmtu.mt.ns.els-gms.att.NET
Aug 21 19:42:01.028 createfetch: blackbox.com A
Aug 21 19:42:01.028 createfetch: dbru.br.ns.els-gms.att.net A
Aug 21 19:42:01.028 createfetch: dmtu.mt.ns.els-gms.att.net A
Aug 21 19:42:01.030 no_references: delete from rbt: 0x9778170
dbru.br.ns.els-gms.att.NET
Aug 21 19:42:01.030 no_references: delete from rbt: 0x9778170
dmtu.mt.ns.els-gms.att.NET

This particular failure happened when I tried to resolve
www.blackbox.com. This problem only seems to happen to lesser known
domain names that are not frequently requested. If this happens when
using a web browser I typically just get a site not found message. If I
hit reload then the site shows up. When using nslookup I get the
following behavior:

H:\>nslookup www.blackbox.com
Server:  ns1.mydomain.com
Address:  10.xxx.xxx.xxx

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to ns1.mydomain.com timed-out

After this happens if I immediately make the request again, everything
works normally.

H:\>nslookup www.blackbox.com
Server:  ns1.mydomain.com
Address:  10.xxx.xxx.xxx

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    blackbox.com
Address:  164.109.41.20
Aliases:  www.blackbox.com

Does anybody know what might be causing this behavior? I have tried
google but I don't seem to find anything relevant.

Thanks,
Garl

This is running on a Redhat/Fedora box (Started out as a Redhat 8 box
and has been upgraded a number of times to something approximating
Fedora 1 or 2).
Bind is version 9.2.2.P3-9