[Eug-lug] Setting up DNS

larry price laprice at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 20:30:00 PDT 2004

It means that the delegation path from your DNS server (I assume
you're running it in caching mode)
is long enough that the first request times out before a named
runnning between you and the target domain server was able to receive
and retransmit your answer.

You might want to take a look at the forward entries on your named and
see if they could be repointed to heftier servers (i don't know about
att.net but qwest's nameservers were regularly unable to answer
questions regarding doubleclick.net which caused a certain amount of
hassle reading nytimes.com or other commercial sites)

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:02:52 -0700, Garl Grigsby <badd_karma at comcast.net> wrote:
> I am trying to setup DNS from scratch for the first time and I am
> running into a small problem. I occasionally get a time out when trying
> to resolve an IP address. When I get these failures if I immediately try
> the request again, the address is returned with no delay. In trying to
> debug this problem I am running named in the foreground with the debug
> switch turned on. When ever I have one of these failures, I will see a
> group of messages similar to the following:
>
> Aug 21 19:42:00.802 createfetch: www.blackbox.com.mydomain.com A
> Aug 21 19:42:00.863 createfetch: www.blackbox.com A
> Aug 21 19:42:01.027 no_references: delete from rbt: 0x9774338
> dbru.br.ns.els-gms.att.NET
> Aug 21 19:42:01.028 no_references: delete from rbt: 0x9774338
> dmtu.mt.ns.els-gms.att.NET
> Aug 21 19:42:01.028 createfetch: blackbox.com A
> Aug 21 19:42:01.028 createfetch: dbru.br.ns.els-gms.att.net A
> Aug 21 19:42:01.028 createfetch: dmtu.mt.ns.els-gms.att.net A
> Aug 21 19:42:01.030 no_references: delete from rbt: 0x9778170
> dbru.br.ns.els-gms.att.NET
> Aug 21 19:42:01.030 no_references: delete from rbt: 0x9778170
> dmtu.mt.ns.els-gms.att.NET
>
> This particular failure happened when I tried to resolve
> www.blackbox.com. This problem only seems to happen to lesser known
> domain names that are not frequently requested. If this happens when
> using a web browser I typically just get a site not found message. If I
> hit reload then the site shows up. When using nslookup I get the
> following behavior:
>
> H:\>nslookup www.blackbox.com
> Server:  ns1.mydomain.com
> Address:  10.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> DNS request timed out.
>     timeout was 2 seconds.
> *** Request to ns1.mydomain.com timed-out
>
> After this happens if I immediately make the request again, everything
> works normally.
>
> H:\>nslookup www.blackbox.com
> Server:  ns1.mydomain.com
> Address:  10.xxx.xxx.xxx
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:    blackbox.com
> Address:  164.109.41.20
> Aliases:  www.blackbox.com
>
> Does anybody know what might be causing this behavior? I have tried
> google but I don't seem to find anything relevant.
>
> Thanks,
> Garl
>
> This is running on a Redhat/Fedora box (Started out as a Redhat 8 box
> and has been upgraded a number of times to something approximating
> Fedora 1 or 2).
> Bind is version 9.2.2.P3-9

http://Zoneverte.org -- information explained
Do you know what your IT infrastructure does?