[Eug-lug] State of Oregon websites

Jacob Meuser jakemsr at jakemsr.com
Sat Apr 22 10:47:46 PDT 2006

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:41:21PM -0700, Darren Hayes wrote:
> Ever since the redesign of State of Oregon website(s), accessing official
> state pages on state.or.us domain (e.g. http://www.oregon.gov) with Firefox
> has become a doggone slow process. I generally find the state government
> websites render much faster in IE6 (with ActiveX disabled). In Firefox I
> observe frequent script/timeout errors or just sluggish page
> of Oregon websites on other users PC's using Firefox. For such simple plain
> design websites I would not be expecting this issue (but maybe for espn.com
> or mlb.com). Possibly a standards issue with the state's
> webserver/infrastructure/implementation of server-side script or SSI
> processing? Or maybe oregon.gov sites are optimized for IE and not for
> Firefox (and/or is hosted on IIS)? At any rate something is definitely funky
> in Salem IT. Or is it just a Firefox problem? Or a Firefox on Windows issue?
> http://www.puc.state.or.us/
>
> Anyone else with similar observations? I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.2 but also
> observed same issues in 1.5.0.1 and 1.5. What do you observe with FF on
> Linux.

I have not had problems with www.filinginoregon.com, which is the only
state website I've used recently.  I'm using FireFox-1.5.0.1 on
OpenBSD/amd64.

following some of the links from there which go to *.state.or.us
and clicking around, doing some random searches, etc, doesn't seem to
have any issues either.  although www.puc.state.or.us is slightly
slower to render than other state websites.  that particular site
seems to use more javascript than others.

the only changes I have made to my FireFox config were increasing the
font sizes.

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>