[Eug-lug] State of Oregon websites

Darren Hayes darrenh41 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 21 21:41:21 PDT 2006

Ever since the redesign of State of Oregon website(s), accessing official
state pages on state.or.us domain (e.g. http://www.oregon.gov) with Firefox
has become a doggone slow process. I generally find the state government
websites render much faster in IE6 (with ActiveX disabled). In Firefox I
observe frequent script/timeout errors or just sluggish page
of Oregon websites on other users PC's using Firefox. For such simple plain
design websites I would not be expecting this issue (but maybe for espn.com
or mlb.com). Possibly a standards issue with the state's
webserver/infrastructure/implementation of server-side script or SSI
processing? Or maybe oregon.gov sites are optimized for IE and not for
Firefox (and/or is hosted on IIS)? At any rate something is definitely funky
in Salem IT. Or is it just a Firefox problem? Or a Firefox on Windows issue?
http://www.puc.state.or.us/

Anyone else with similar observations? I'm running Firefox 1.5.0.2 but also
observed same issues in 1.5.0.1 and 1.5. What do you observe with FF on
Linux.

Below is a related tip from mozillazine:

Warning: Unresponsive script?

This is a warning message that is displayed by the Mozilla scripting engine
(e.g. Firefox) and here is how you can work around the problem:

    * Open Firefox's config page by entering about:config
(about[colon]config) as a URL (i.e. In the URL input drop-down on Firefox's
navigation toolbar).
    * In the Filter input box on the about:config page, type
dom.max_script_run_time.
    * You should find a single entry with the default value set to 5.
    * Double click the entry on the about:config page and Firefox should
prompt you for a new value.
    * Increase the value to 10 and click the OK button.
    * Restart Firefox for the change to become effective.
    * If the problem persists, increase the value again.
    * I'm not sure what the maximum value is for dom.max_script_run_time,
but I don't think you should need to increase it above 20.

Here is a link to more information on the problem -
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dom.max_script_run_time