[Eug-lug] PSP, Video, and mencoder...

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Wed Mar 30 14:40:02 PST 2005

UPDATE: works as advertised... more testing require :)
Jamie
On Wednesday 30 March 2005 01:28 pm, Linux Rocks! wrote:
: UPDATE:
: Ive found that someone is using ffmpeg under linux, so Im compiling it (and
: faac)... will see how it works...
:
: This is the article:
: Converting movies in Linux
:
:
: A patch has been added to the ffmpeg program recently that adds
: compatibility with the PSP. You will need to download the latest version of
: ffmpeg from
:
: their CVS. Run this from a terminal window to get the sources:
: > cvs -z9 -d:pserver:anonymous at mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/ffmpeg co ffmpeg
:
: Now you can enter the ffmpeg directory and configure, compile and install
: the program, make sure to compile with at least the "--enable-faac" option
: (which means you also need the faac package).
:
: > ./configure --enable-faac
: > make
: > sudo make install
:
: If everything compiled and installed without problems you should now be
: able to create MP4 movies which work on the PSP. If you did encounter
: problems, you can check out the homepages of the programs for more
: information.
:
:
: Here is how to convert a movie to the MP4 format, using the new option
: added
:
: in ffmpeg:
: > ffmpeg -i sourcemovie.avi -f psp -r 14.985 -s 320x240 -b 768 -ar 24000
: > -ab
:
: 32 M4V00002.MP4
:
:
: This will create an MP4 movie with a frame rate of 14.985 (-r 14.985), a
: resolution of 320 by 240 (-s 320x240), a video bitrate of 768kbps (-b 768),
: an audio sampling frequency of 24000 Hz (-ar 24000) and an audio bitrate of
: 32 kbps (-ab 32).
:
:
: According to the English manual for the PSP from the FCC website that's
: circling the internet the maximum video bitrate the PSP can handle is 768.
: The maximum resolution is 320x240 for movies played back from the Memory
: Stick so don't go any higher than that. As a final note, the ffmpeg
: developer who added this PSP functionality mentions that there has been
: problems with other framerates than 14.985 so to be sure it will work you
: should stick with that. I've heard reports of other values working as well
: though, so you could try different rates if you want to experiment.
: