[Eug-lug] PSP, Video, and mencoder...

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Wed Mar 30 13:28:14 PST 2005

UPDATE:
Ive found that someone is using ffmpeg under linux, so Im compiling it (and
faac)... will see how it works...

This is the article:
Converting movies in Linux

A patch has been added to the ffmpeg program recently that adds compatibility
with the PSP. You will need to download the latest version of ffmpeg from
their CVS. Run this from a terminal window to get the sources:

> cvs -z9 -d:pserver:anonymous at mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/ffmpeg co ffmpeg

Now you can enter the ffmpeg directory and configure, compile and install the
program, make sure to compile with at least the "--enable-faac" option (which
means you also need the faac package).

> ./configure --enable-faac
> make
> sudo make install

If everything compiled and installed without problems you should now be able
to create MP4 movies which work on the PSP. If you did encounter problems,
you can check out the homepages of the programs for more information.

Here is how to convert a movie to the MP4 format, using the new option added
in ffmpeg:

> ffmpeg -i sourcemovie.avi -f psp -r 14.985 -s 320x240 -b 768 -ar 24000 -ab
32 M4V00002.MP4

This will create an MP4 movie with a frame rate of 14.985 (-r 14.985), a
resolution of 320 by 240 (-s 320x240), a video bitrate of 768kbps (-b 768),
an audio sampling frequency of 24000 Hz (-ar 24000) and an audio bitrate of
32 kbps (-ab 32).

According to the English manual for the PSP from the FCC website that's
circling the internet the maximum video bitrate the PSP can handle is 768.
The maximum resolution is 320x240 for movies played back from the Memory
Stick so don't go any higher than that. As a final note, the ffmpeg developer
who added this PSP functionality mentions that there has been problems with
other framerates than 14.985 so to be sure it will work you should stick with
that. I've heard reports of other values working as well though, so you could
try different rates if you want to experiment.