[Eug-lug] Re: Powerbook chatter & Loony info

T. Joseph CARTER knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Mon Jan 31 19:03:07 PST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 03:28:29PM -0800, Ben Barrett wrote:
> [I'm at Lunar Logic also...]
> We did a presentation at an SAO brewpub last year, as well as a
> colloqium meeting at the UO.  I'm not sure what events are coming up....
> sorry.  I'll see what I can find out, though -- so bug me about it
> off-list if I don't have any news in the next week or so.
>
> On the Mac subject, I noticed the new powerbooks have a sudden-motion
> sensor, which seems like a useful feature and could generate some good
> thread on our list :)   For instance, is it a full 3D gyro (capable of,
> say, location-based services and "gestures"), or it is only useful
> enough to spin down the disk before it hits the ground?  ;-)

That sounds more like iBook tech.  The iBooks are designed to be as rugged
as possible because they really are targetted to students who are not
always as gentle with a lappy as they ought to be.

It is nice to see some of that tech coming to the Powerbook, but still
doubt it's as tough as the iBook, whose demo unit gets dropped from about
a foot up on a regular basis to demonstrate that it doesn't kill the
machine.  =)