[Eug-lug] Favourite WM/Desktop

Mike Cherba mike.cherba at caviumnetworks.com
Fri Jan 28 14:49:31 PST 2005

Dunno, Last I had heard, Apple didn't buy any GUI stuff from Xerox.   As
far as I'm concerned the only GUI work that wasn't really Derived from
the Xerox stuff that Apple popularized was the ArthurOS stuff from
Acorn.  Of course, Microsoft ripped that off too.

But again, I still suggest that there has been no fundamental
improvement in GUI since the first Mouse based interfaces at Xerox
PARC.  I'd love to see what GUI innovation people see that have truly
changed the way we interface to our computers since the basic point and
click thing was developed.
			-Mike

On Fri, 2005-01-28 at 13:59, T. Joseph CARTER wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 06:38:57PM -0800, Mike Cherba wrote:
> > It might be better to state that the original MAC, Like every other GUI
> > since then was inspired by the work from XEROX PARC.  There's been no
> > real fundamental improvement in interface design since the original
> > GUIs.  Just more bells and whistles.
>
> That is the excuse usually given by Microsoft when confronted with
> accusations of stealing the Mac interface.
>
> Truth is that Apple bought it from Xerox and modified it greatly.  Yes,
> there were windows, there were icons, and there was a mouse pointer.  That
> is about where the similarity ends.  If you can say that makes all
> graphical interfaces basically the same, then explain why there are dozens
> of window managers out there for X11?  Surely they can't all be different
> sets of icons and graphics--one window manager could do that.
>

> Microsoft didn't go to Xerox to decide how to do their GUI, they went to
> Apple.  And so did everyone else.

"I care little for your Cause; I fight not for your Crown, but for your
half-crown, and your handsome women!"