[Eug-lug] Re: Wrapping

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Sun Jan 23 18:12:48 PST 2005

Specifically, to work out what larry is saying, let's go thru
a example that I have often used.

Suppose that I want to have a network service that creates fortune
quotes. Everytime I connect to the port, I get a new quote.

There already exists a program that generates quotes, it is
called fortune. I run the program, it generates a quote to
standard out.

By creating an entry in /etc/inetd.conf or in /etc/xinetd.d
depending on which version, this program "fortune" can be
wrapped by inetd, such that the programs services becomes a
network service.

# /etc/inetd.conf:  see inetd(8) for further informations.

fortune 	stream	tcp	wait	fortune	/usr/games/fortune fortune

larry price <laprice at gmail.com> writes:

 % Jeff is asking about a program called inetd which handles access
 % control for network connections to local programs, it's useful if you
 % have a local program which for some reason needs to be network
 % accessible.
 %
 % in other words it's used to "wrap" tcp connections in a layer of
 % security and access control.
 %
 %
 %