[Eug-lug] Computer time

Allen Brown abrown at peak.org
Sun Jan 23 14:12:21 PST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005, Jamie wrote:

> On Sunday 23 January 2005 08:42 am, Allen Brown wrote:
> : On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Bob Miller wrote:
> : > Jacob Meuser wrote:
> : > > On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 01:01:14PM -0800, Max Lemieux wrote:
> : > > > Agreed, vi seems to be the universally present editor.
> : > >
> : > > ed is the universal editor.
> : >
> : > No, ed is the STANDARD text editor.
> : > http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg.html
> : >
> : > I agree with Max.  Nano is a good, non-confusing editor.  I'll bet I've
> : > been using emacs longer than anyone here -- I first used the original
> : > TECo-based version on MIT-AI sometime in 1978.  But I'm still aware
> : > that emacs is a bear to learn.
> : > --
> : > Bob Miller                              K<bob>
> :
> : emacs is a bear to learn *completely*.  But you can be quite effective
> : using a "nano" fraction of it.  If all you learn of emacs is the
> : capabilities that are provided in nano, emacs is no more difficult to
> : learn than nano.  But with nano, that is all you can do.  With emacs
> : you can continue to grow.
>
> I dont see how you can find emacs as easy as pico/nano. one displays your
> options for you, the other requires that you learn how to quit the program,
> before you even use it (or get stuck!).

When it comes up it says to use ^h for help.  From there everything
you need to learn it is available.  Including an interactive
tutorial.

> I see the primary difference between vi or emac and pico/nano is that pico/
> nano has onscreen options, whereas vi and emac require memorizing all the
> commands or have a printout of them handy when you use them.

Emacs has built in help.  Vi doesn't.

You can see that as the main difference only if you don't use any
of the power of the others.  If all you will ever need is an editor
with all the power of notebook, then by all means, go for nano.

> clearly pico/nano are simple text editors, not fancy programming
> environments or word processors.. just a simple text editor.
>
> Jamie

Emacs and vi are also not word processors since they don't really
support fonts.  But they are programming environments.  If you
will be programming it makes sense to get an editor that supports
you in that.
--
Allen