[Eug-lug] Ubuntu LiveCD DOA

Jeff_W beaker at freeshell.org
Sun Jan 23 14:06:16 PST 2005

I received 10 of these in the mail the other day and thought
I'd give the LiveCD a spin. No go: it appears to detect firewire
where there is none and can not start X even in FAILSAFE mode.
I bumped around in the help menu (F1 at bootup; be fast!) and
tried several options - including some of the Morphix options
I found on the web - to no avail. I was looking for a text-only
mode but didn't find anything that worked. Browsing the ubuntu
site is nearly a waste of time; I can't believe they would spend
so much money distributing these LiveCDs and not have some sort
of documentation on their site - no even on the damm CDs!

BTW, the hardware I tried it on was just some garden variety
compaq presario using the intel 810 chipset and 512MB RAM; I
would think this should work w/o a hitch - as it does with
Knoppix.

-Jeff