[Eug-lug] Computer time

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Fri Jan 21 19:30:25 PST 2005

Jim K <kjim9 at earthlink.net> writes:

 %       I just did a man ex on a mandrake 10 community system and it
 % displayed the vim man page. Is ex just an alias for vim?

VIM (VI) and EX are the same editor.
VI is the visual mode, EX is the line mode.

 % I have had at least one linux system that didn't have ex, but they all
 % had ed. You can create a program or script that creates a
 % script that executes ed and operate on another file. ed is small and
 % could be loaded on thing like linux ipods the Zuarus series of machines
 % etc, without using up memory.

ed is the original editor. The key nice thing about it
is that it is always available.

 %     Also if you have used a line editor in the past ed is easy to pick
 % up and run with.

 % Jim K
 % Allen Brown wrote:
 %