[Eug-lug] Local dial tone providers - Qwest alternatives?

Alan euglug at thebucks.net
Thu Jan 20 01:12:48 PST 2005

T. Joseph CARTER wrote:

> Keep in mind we pay $40 or more for cell (3/4 of students have them) and
> almost as much again for landline access if we're not living on campus.
> Do it for $10 less and and make it more useful and you'll get people to
> switch in droves.

Yeah. I went to college before the cell phone revolution.
Dorm phones weren't too bad for local calls($100 or so dollars a
semester(or for the year, I forget) but the LD rates were just usurious.
My wife and I routinely ran up hundred-dollar monthly bills. Free LD
would have been a godsend back then.

> You don't have a choice with current cellular providers.  Cricket starts
> at about $38, after taxes and phone replacement plan (trust me, you're
> screwed if something happens to your phone and you don't have this!)

Back when I needed a cell, I used Verizon prepaid. Worked out to an
average of about $15/month (some months I added more, some months I
added none). It also had the bonus of not having "taxes" so the money
you spent went to airtime only.
Of course, if you talk a lot, then it's _definitely_ not the plan for
you, since the per minute rate is somewhere around $0.15/minute and much
more if you roam.

-ajb