[Eug-lug] Local dial tone providers - Qwest alternatives?

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Tue Jan 18 18:38:12 PST 2005

T. Joseph CARTER wrote:

> This already sounds like it has possibilities.  Already I can say that I
> get internet access in more places than I get a clear cellular signal in
> Eugene, and I could live with s 503 number.

This is how VOIP will kill the cellular carriers, IMO.

College students like Joseph will find that VoIP/WiFI gives better
coverage for the places they frequent than cellular.  Combined with
unlimited talk for a fixed price and portable phones (Vonage is
supposed to be selling one sometime this year for $100), how can a
starving student afford a cell phone?

Eventually, they'll graduate and when they find out what a bad deal
cellular is in comparison to what they're used to, they'll start
demanding WiFi everywhere they ever go.  Metcalfe's Law will make VoIP
even more attractive then, and the general population will start
switching over.

You heard it here first (unless you heard it somewhere else).

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     kbob at jogger-egg.com