[Eug-lug] Local dial tone providers - Qwest alternatives?

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Tue Jan 18 13:27:59 PST 2005

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 12:41 pm, Alan wrote:
: Linux Rocks! wrote:
: > Alan,
: > 	If you find a solution, please let us know.... Ive dealt with
: > qwest/uswest for a long time, but not for a few years now. I hate them.
: > Ive had awful problems in the past with them. Ive found that if you go
: > with other local providers that it just ends up costing more so that
: > qwest can still get thier cut. Im currently using a cell phone for my
: > regular phone.
: >
: > Jamie
:
: Yeah, I've looked at cell phones, but for my household, they don't make
: economical sense, mainly because I'd need two and that pushes the cost
: far above what I give Qwest. And while the main motivation for this is
: to avoid giving Qwest any of my money, giving twice the amount to
: someone else doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I have cricket, it cost less than i was giving qwest/uswest, or the other
local providers... but cell phones are annoying... I put up with the
inconvenience of cell phone, rather than pay qwest.

Jamie

:
: I did some research last night into this:
: The plan I cooked up was Vonage over whoever is that does WISP in
: Eugene(willamette.net, I think).
: The downsides to Vonage are mainly the lack of 541 numbers. This isn't a
: huge concern for me, since I don't know anyone in town that would call
: me anyway. heh. An upside is that I could get an 845(NY) number which
: would enable both our parents to call us "locally".
: And for most people we know, calling a 503(1?) Portland number is just
: as LD as calling an 845 NY number.
:
: The WISP is a bigger problem, since if the hills I think are the Coburg
:   hills are, in fact, the Coburg hills, I don't have LOS to them.
: This lead me to Comcast, the folks who want $15 more for worse upstream
: than I get from Qwest.
:  From there, I went to Speakeasy. Their online service app told me I
: could only qualify for IDSL, which I find odd, since I'm using ADSL from
: Qwest right now. I'll have to give them a call later, but if anyone is
: using them in Eugene right now, speak up.
:
: I've looked at Skype, but since most of our calls are incoming, I don't
: think it will fit the bill for what we need.
:
:
: That's the run-down so far, if anyone has any additional ideas,
: suggestions, etc, do chime in.
:
: -ajb
: EUGLUG mailing list