[Eug-lug] Re: [linux] F+!*ing Gentoo...

Mike Cherba mike.cherba at caviumnetworks.com
Sat Jan 15 22:43:55 PST 2005

I would suggest the following:

Lack of enforcement of a common linux standard.  There is no requirement
for a program to be "Linux Certified" so to speak.  This allows for the
morass of different dependencies that exist even for RPM files meant for
a particular distribution.

If there was a common set of requirements for a program to be certified
it might help.  Perhaps have a non profit group which would test
applications on a number of different linux distributions.  They could
set out a list of requirements for each package.  A developer could
create a version that is guranteed to install correctly on a minimal
installation of a given distro.  All other versions should include the
appropriate libraries, in a manner where they install if needed.

Anyway, just my $.02
			-Mike

--
"I care little for your Cause; I fight not for your Crown, but for your
half-crown, and your handsome women!"