[Eug-lug] Re: [linux] F+!*ing Gentoo...

Eric Altendorf EricAltendorf at orst.edu
Sat Jan 15 16:05:34 PST 2005

On Saturday 15 January 2005 12:21, Bob Miller wrote:
> Sigh...  Still no perfect distribution.

Stepping up a level, let me take a poll: why is it that there is no
perfect distribution?

1) Perfect means different things to different people (ok, that's a
reason, but broken-ass-crap isn't what *anybody* means by "perfect",
so let's focus on that)

2) Not enough developers

3) Not enough money

4) Not enough coordination among developers

5) Too many options, different software packages, incompatibilities,
versions, version release schedules thereof, different tools for
accomplishing the same task

6) Lack of control over the options and software packages that are
being integrated in the distro

In short -- why is it my linux machines never ever ever "just work" ?

--
Eric Altendorf    //    http://www.speedtoys.com/~eric