[Eug-lug] Slow RAID0

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Sat Jan 15 14:01:15 PST 2005

So, I have the raid working with the new drives, and new controller, but it
seems slower than the single disk. Ive done some looking, and some
benchmarking... these are my findings/results.

hda is running at ata100 instead of 133 (udma5)
hde and g are 133 (controller says so in dmesg), and hdparm shows udma6
The drives are 133, and the hda controller should be 133...

Ive tried 3 programs to bench the drive/array
hdparm
bonnie++
tiotest

I ran tiotest with 512M, 1G, 2G test block sizes, and got very simular
results.
Raid				Single
512	21.770 MB/s	25.942 MB/s
1024	21.771 MB/s	24.780 MB/s
2048	21.770 MB/s	26.307 MB/s

It would apear my single drive is about 20% faster than my raid!!!
Bonnie++ shows the single disk at about 29 MB/s, and 23MB/s for the raid.

heres the hdparm info:
root at media:~# hdparm -Tt /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   2928 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1463.49 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  170 MB in  3.01 seconds =  56.41 MB/sec

/dev/md0:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   3288 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1643.43 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  150 MB in  3.01 seconds =  49.91 MB/sec

So, at this point, It looks like my raid is sucking. Id get better performance
as regular single drives than I am with this raid setup.

any ideas on how I can get this working right?
Jamie

--
...you might as well skip the Xmas celebration completely, and instead
sit in front of your linux computer playing with the all-new-and-improved