X.org vs XFree86 (was: [Eug-lug] Knoppix 3.7)

dsoper at continet.com dsoper at continet.com
Fri Jan 14 18:19:01 PST 2005

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 02:33:54PM -0800, Max Lemieux wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, the main difference is that the X.org
> server uses a different licensing scheme (more "open"/"free") from the
> current XFree86 server. The code was forked after 4.3, so that the
> current X.org is roughly what 4.4 would have been. Development is still
> underway on the old XFree86 but many developers defected to the X.org
> project due to the license issue, I understand.
>
> Nifty features like true alpha transparency are in the works for
> X.org... should be one to watch in this year. :)

True alpha transparency kinda works now-- if you've got the processing
power to make it go.  It seems like font antialiasing is *much* better
in x.org, and, at least on my boxen seems to be faster and more stable.
Also, if you are a Windowmaker diehard, I think the latest Windowmaker
requires x.org; at least I haven't been able to get Windowmaker .9x to
build under xfree.

Cheers,
Dennis
--
Dennis Soper
dsoper at continet.com

Fascism should rightly be called Corporatism as it is a merge of state
and corporate power.
					-- Benito Mussolini