X.org vs XFree86 (was: [Eug-lug] Knoppix 3.7)

Max Lemieux max at lunarlogic.com
Fri Jan 14 14:33:54 PST 2005

see response below, please...

T. Joseph CARTER wrote:

>>>Defaults?  As in, you can choose 2.6 and X.org?
>>>

>>You can choose 2.6.  It is marked experimental.  AFAIK, you can not
>>choose X.org.
>>

>Ubuntu also uses XFree86, though it uses 2.6.8.  When last I used Linux,
>that is all there was.  Could use a rundown of what's better about X.org
>if someone wants to take the time to explain it.  =)

To the best of my knowledge, the main difference is that the X.org
server uses a different licensing scheme (more "open"/"free") from the
current XFree86 server. The code was forked after 4.3, so that the
current X.org is roughly what 4.4 would have been. Development is still
underway on the old XFree86 but many developers defected to the X.org
project due to the license issue, I understand.

Nifty features like true alpha transparency are in the works for
X.org... should be one to watch in this year. :)

Anyone else who knows more, please feel free to correct me/add info.
This is based off my limited research on the subject and sub-perfect
recollection.

-Max