[Eug-lug] Re: [lug] what would be your dream SMP server hardware

Scott Kveton scott at osuosl.org
Fri Jan 14 08:06:10 PST 2005

> TCO, Cost effectiveness way more important
> than base hardware cost but bells & whistles
> need to be justified.
>
> What hardware would you use and why.

HP DL 380 G4 w/ 2 x Xeons and as much memory and disk that money will
buy.

We use here at OSU and they are great.  One of the best features, is the
out of band management ... I can boot off of the CDROM or power the
machine off from anywhere in the world meaning shorter downtimes and
quicker recoveries from the rare failures that we have.

Just my $0.02 (I imagine I won't be the only one with an opinion on
this),

Scott :-)