[Eug-lug] This week's meeting - back to basics (and components)

T. Joseph CARTER knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Fri Jan 14 00:08:31 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 05:37:04PM -0800, Linux Rocks! wrote:
> So, Meeting Tonite...
>
> Looks like Joseph will be demonstrating his oldworld skills on reletively new
> computer gear (brand new last year technology).

Results of that:

Jamie's cardboard-covered pool table is an almost flat surface to work on,
but the lighting was inefficient for Joseph's eyes.  Great thanks is owed
to Mike O for his expertise--he was able to accomplish in a few minutes a
series of tasks which would have taken me at least an hour's frustration.

In the end, we got the box together with an evil OS, Ubuntu, space for
another Linux with shared /home, and a yet-unformatted space I intend to
put FreeBSD on.

I have some very positive things and some very negative things to say
about the ASUS Terminator barebones case, but have to be at an elementary
school in about 8 hours, so will not say them now.

My DVD reader was not working right.  We left Jamie dismantling it to try
and resurrect the drive by cleaning the crap out of it.  (It's old.)  I
hope to hear that he got it working next week, since it was a faithful
drive for many years.

Claimed a GF2 (sorry again Neil!) because X11 didn't like my SiS video and
I couldn't be bothered to make it work since I had the AGP slot.

> I have Ubunto CD's (the live cd, and the 2 install cd for i386), I dont have
> my knoppix or gentoo cd's (left them at a friends...). I have slack 10
> install cd's (they both are bootable).

I took one of these and am using it now.  I must admit that I was greatly
pleased to change the DPI setting in the Gnome registry to 130 DPI and
find that suddenly all of Ubuntu's live CD was readable by a Joseph at
high resolution.  Now there is just that the Gnome applications for this
machine's intended purpose are horrid next to the equivalent bits of KDE.
;)