[Eug-lug] Ubuntu CDs

T. Joseph CARTER knghtbrd at bluecherry.net
Thu Jan 13 16:00:26 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:50:36AM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
> > No way, it's either a standard notebook drive or a standard 3.5" drive
> > (ATA more likely than SATA in this case..)  Getting at the drive might be
> > fun, of course, but it would be possible.
>
> The version of MacOS that came with my Quadra 800, System 7.X, checked
> the disk's SCSI IDENT.  If the vendor ID wasn't Apple, the disk
> formatting tool refused to run.  This was a mild annoyance, as disks
> were expensive enough back then that another $40 for third party
> formatting software was lost in the noise.

Ah, we don't have that now.  We buy Maxtor and Seagate and whatever else
strikes the right balance of size, price, and which HD company we've had
the least number of personal bad experiences with, just like anyone else
in the wintel world.  ;)

There's not even the mac boot rom issue to work around anymore--we have
OpenFirmware now.  Apple grumbles that MacOS X is licensed only to run on
a Mac, but there are people running them on CHRP PowerPC ATX boards, etc.