[Eug-lug] To Horst-Q/colours

Allen Brown allen_brown at agilent.com
Wed Jan 12 12:57:53 PST 2005

T. Joseph CARTER wrote:
> The escape sequences are a bit archaic, depend a bit on your terminal type
> (though there is a standard set that works on nearly all terminals you'll
> ever encounter), and is a throwback to the days when people had several
> monitors and keyboards connected to a single big computer through serial
> ports (and even further back than that actually!)  All you need to know to
> configure dircolors are the numbers for the m code:
>
> 	30	black
> 	31	red
> 	32	green
> 	33	brown
> 	34	blue
> 	35	magenta
> 	36	cyan
> 	37	lt grey
>
> Add ;1 to that these to make the colour brighter:
>
> 	30;1	dark grey
> 	31;1	bright red
> 	32;1	bright green
> 	33;1	yellow
> 	34;1	bright blue
> 	35;1	bright magenta
> 	36;1	bright cyan
> 	37;1	white

This is not working for me.  All I get is a box where I try to
print the escape char, followed by the other chars.
   ESC=$(echo -ne "\033")
   echo -e "${ESC}31;1foo"
should print a red "foo".  Instead I get
   []31;1foo
where [] represents a single character.
--
Allen Brown
   work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/
         allen_brown at agilent.com	            abrown at peak.org
   During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a
   revolutionary act. --- George Orwell, "1984"