[Eug-lug] To Horst-Q/colours // to appreciate, and to move on.

horst horsu at freeshell.org
Tue Jan 4 23:54:12 PST 2005

> Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 12:07:33 +0000
> From: walter fry <kd7kpa at hotmail.com>
>
> I have pencil on paper copied this command string and thought it wiser to ask
> whether this might be destructive if I entered this as is...is it ok to use?

>> > find /usr/blah/ -type l -exec ls -l {} \; | sed 's/^.* \([^ ].*\) ->
>> > \(.*\)/ln -s \2 \/usr\/foo\/\1' > tmp; eval tmp; rm tmp

  Naa, don't worry; this has nothing to do with your original question
(though it won't harm you to see /usr/blah/ being a made-up name leading
to an error message)
  I am not sure why this line ended up in your thread.

The colors in your gnome terminal probably indicate different file types:
executible vs. regular file, maybe links, devices...
I don't know the details as I am on KDE shell.
It's OK to ask how which file types are mapped to which color, but it's
also OK to just accept it as a visual enhencement and to move on:
multi-chrome or mono-chrome, the shell syntaxt will be the same.

  - Horst