[Eug-lug] Linux WiFi troubleshooting?

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Wed Jan 12 09:25:05 PST 2005

larry price wrote:

> > Anyone know what a BSSID is?  That's what kismet reports, and
> > I kind of assumed that's the access point's MAC.  But is it?
> >
> BSSID : Basic Service Set Identifier

It looks like a MAC.  Our home network has a BSSID of 00:0C:41:66:81:A8,
which is the MAC stamped on the bottom of the LinkSys WAP11.  Is the
BSSID always the same as the access point's MAC address?

More generally, am I the only person whose WiFi works with some
networks but not with others?  Or do you guys have the same problems?

(I know about the "WiFi never works" problem.  My wife's temporary
laptop is in that category.  The new permanent laptop arrived last
night, and it has an Intel Pro/Wireless 2200.  Fun...)

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     kbob at jogger-egg.com