[Eug-lug] Booting Old World Macs [was: Gnoppix Ubuntu LiveCDs]

Ken Barber kenb at nu-world.com
Wed Jan 5 23:18:54 PST 2005

On Wednesday 05 January 2005 4:47 pm, Max Lemieux wrote:
> Ken Barber wrote:
> >Longer answer:  You CAN boot an OW Mac if you use BootX.  Basically it
> > lets MacOS start, then takes over and loads the Linux kernel from your
> > MacOS System folder.
>
> I've heard of it, but I didn't have a MacOS install at the time I
> installed Linux so that wasn't an option, unfortunately. (or
> fortunately  - I shudder to think of the combined boot time of Classic
> MacOS and Linux).

It's not bad.  Once it's booted we just leave it up all the time.  Since we
heat with electricity here, and it's winter, it doesn't use any extra power
to just leave it on all the time.

> I take it you do have partial sound
> support on the G3? OSS? ALSA?

I'm not sure; she's a patient woman and I haven't had to delve into it.
Rhythmbox works, the CD player does not, and the list goes on from there.  I
think it's an ALSA vs. OSS thing.

> General agreement re: stability and pleasure. Running modern software on
> that ancient hardware just makes me grin. :)

If you need to know how I did it, give me a holler.

Ken