[Eug-lug] Booting Old World Macs [was: Gnoppix Ubuntu LiveCDs]

Max Lemieux max at lunarlogic.com
Wed Jan 5 16:47:34 PST 2005

see below for my responses inline...

Ken Barber wrote:

>Longer answer:  You CAN boot an OW Mac if you use BootX.  Basically it lets
>MacOS start, then takes over and loads the Linux kernel from your MacOS
>System folder.

I've heard of it, but I didn't have a MacOS install at the time I
installed Linux so that wasn't an option, unfortunately. (or
fortunately  - I shudder to think of the combined boot time of Classic
MacOS and Linux).

>I have Yellow Dog Linux 4 running here on a beige G3/333.  It was a pain in
>the *** to get it installed onto an Old World machine, but it can be done.
>It's very stable and a pleasure to use as long as you don't care about the
>audio.  They're still working on that part (some apps work; some do not).

Yeah, I never had sound on that machine, not even when it was running OS
9 (I suspect hardware problems). I take it you do have partial sound
support on the G3? OSS? ALSA? I wasn't savvy enough to mess with kernel
modules at that point... so never got to play with it much. Soon, I
hope. Ironic since painless sound was one of the best features of those
machines....

General agreement re: stability and pleasure. Running modern software on
that ancient hardware just makes me grin. :)