[Eug-lug] grrrr.... damn computers!

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Tue Jan 4 14:45:08 PST 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 06:47 pm, Bob Crandell wrote:
: Linux Rocks! (linux at rocksolidnetworks.com) wrote:
: > On Tuesday 04 January 2005 05:23 pm, larry price wrote:
: > : On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:42:23 -0500, Linux Rocks!
: > :
: > : <linux at rocksolidnetworks.com> wrote:
: > : > This is my hardware:
: > : >
: > : > ASUS P4R800-V Deluxe motherboard.
: > : > onboard SATA/IDE Raid controller (SIS 180)
: > : >
: > : >
: > : > I have slack installed on a 160 GB disk, on the other IDE controller,
: > : > and have built many kernels, and tried many stock kernels (including
: > : > ataraid.i). Ive compiled sata_sis (the driver for sis 180) modules,
: > : > and in the kernel. Ive compiled libata into the kernel, and modules.
: > : > Ive tried dmraid (and device mapper). I get "No Sofware RAID disks"
: > : > message. I dont even know how these drives will appear exactly, but
: > : > none of the kernels Ive used, or modules Ive loaded have shown the 2
: > : > raid disks in dmesg (but it does show the controller loading, and 2
: > : > controller channels.)
: > : >
: > : > So, Im also confused about what is software raid, soft-hardware
: > : > raid... It sholdnt be that hard to setup!! but yet it is.
: > :
: > : usually to setup a hardware raid you'll need to run the manufacturers
: > : provided tool to register the disks and format the RAID partitions,
: > : once you've done that the disks should show up if you have working
: > : drivers.
: >
: > yeah, I did that in xp, and it was working.
: >
: > Part of the issue is that its not a true hardware controller. Nearest I
: > can tell, its what they call fakeraid. from what Ive read, it should be
: > able to be used as a hardware raid with the sata_sis driver, but I havnt
: > seen that yet. Another part of the problem is that the controller runs
: > SATA, and IDE, and most ifnot all the docs ive read dont talk about
: > setting up ide drives.
: >
: >
: > I can also set it up as just software raid (bypassing the raid bios i
: > guess). but i havnt see that working under linux yet either.
: >
: > also, I should mention, Ive tried removing the raid (in the raid bios),
: > to use them as regular disks (which btw is mentioned in that sis SATA
: > RAID manual), and I still cant see the disks...
: >
: > Im not sure where they will appear, some docs I read mention
: > /dev/ataraid, some /dev/md, or even /dev/hde, /dev/hdg. but ive seen none
: > of that(although I have seen md, and ataraid in my dev dir...)
: >
: > : Software RAID uses the host computer to manage all the parity checking
: > : etc. But since you have the hardware ...
: >
: > yeah, from what Ive read, the linux software raid works better than these
: > types of raid controllers... Right now, id settle for working! but i
: > would like to compare and see for myself.
: >
: > If I can figure out how to access the disks at all, it will be easier!
: >
: > : you might want to check this manual
: > : http://www.sis.com/support/faq/SATA_RAID_manual.pdf
: >
: > yep, read that. I have it on the computer for quick reference.... I aslo
: > have all the other pdf's from sis, and asus related to this board.
: >
: > : _______________________________________________
:
: If that's the same board I fought with for a client, the raid controller is
: a newer Promise that isn't in the kernel yet.  All I could ever see were
: the SATA drives as /dev/sd*.  The IDE drives never showed up in the list.
:
: The board was highly unstable until the latest BIOS update.

I belivieve its a different board. This one has a SIS 180 Raid controller (2
sata + 2 ide), and an ide controller (1 ata 133, 2 ata 100).
I dont have any sata drives to test the other part of the controller... but I
do have ide drives.

Jamie

:
: Sorry.