[Eug-lug] grrrr.... damn computers!

Linux Rocks! linux at rocksolidnetworks.com
Tue Jan 4 12:40:08 PST 2005

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 05:23 pm, larry price wrote:
: On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 14:42:23 -0500, Linux Rocks!
:
: <linux at rocksolidnetworks.com> wrote:
: > This is my hardware:
: >
: > ASUS P4R800-V Deluxe motherboard.
: > onboard SATA/IDE Raid controller (SIS 180)
: >
: >
: > I have slack installed on a 160 GB disk, on the other IDE controller, and
: > have built many kernels, and tried many stock kernels (including
: > ataraid.i). Ive compiled sata_sis (the driver for sis 180) modules, and
: > in the kernel. Ive compiled libata into the kernel, and modules.
: > Ive tried dmraid (and device mapper). I get "No Sofware RAID disks"
: > message. I dont even know how these drives will appear exactly, but none
: > of the kernels Ive used, or modules Ive loaded have shown the 2 raid
: > disks in dmesg (but it does show the controller loading, and 2 controller
: > channels.)
: >
: > So, Im also confused about what is software raid, soft-hardware raid...
: > It sholdnt be that hard to setup!! but yet it is.
:
: usually to setup a hardware raid you'll need to run the manufacturers
: provided tool to register the disks and format the RAID partitions,
: once you've done that the disks should show up if you have working
: drivers.

yeah, I did that in xp, and it was working.

Part of the issue is that its not a true hardware controller. Nearest I can
tell, its what they call fakeraid. from what Ive read, it should be able to
be used as a hardware raid with the sata_sis driver, but I havnt seen that
yet. Another part of the problem is that the controller runs SATA, and IDE,
and most ifnot all the docs ive read dont talk about setting up ide drives.

I can also set it up as just software raid (bypassing the raid bios i guess).
but i havnt see that working under linux yet either.

also, I should mention, Ive tried removing the raid (in the raid bios), to use
them as regular disks (which btw is mentioned in that sis SATA RAID manual),
and I still cant see the disks...

Im not sure where they will appear, some docs I read mention /dev/ataraid,
some /dev/md, or even /dev/hde, /dev/hdg. but ive seen none of that(although
I have seen md, and ataraid in my dev dir...)

:
: Software RAID uses the host computer to manage all the parity checking etc.
: But since you have the hardware ...

yeah, from what Ive read, the linux software raid works better than these
types of raid controllers... Right now, id settle for working! but i would
like to compare and see for myself.

If I can figure out how to access the disks at all, it will be easier!

:
: you might want to check this manual
: http://www.sis.com/support/faq/SATA_RAID_manual.pdf
yep, read that. I have it on the computer for quick reference.... I aslo have
all the other pdf's from sis, and asus related to this board.

: EUGLUG mailing list
: euglug at euglug.org

Let's call it an accidental feature.
	-- Larry Wall