[Eug-lug] still cant find usb floppy on my laptop

larry price laprice at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 12:40:06 PDT 2004

Walter,
I think it's time to get the information straight from your machine.

run the following command line and paste the results into an email to this list

dmesg | grep "/dev/"

do it with the usb unplugged and then plug it and do it again.

also see if there are any mentions of usb in the system logs, you can
do "grep -l usb *" in /var/log/ as root to get a listing of all files
that have the string usb in them somewhere.

you need to be root so that you can read the files.

from what you have posted so far it looks like you haven't yet
confirmed that the usb is working,
and if that's the case attempting to mount anything will be an
exercise in frustration.

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:44:47 +0000, walter freihube
<wfreihube at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have tried all suggestions to no avail. The only command which gave any
> hope is  mount{single space}/dev/fco  with the last character being a
> alphameric not numeric as I had expected. The box's reply was "cant find  in
> /etc/fstab  or  /etc/mtab"
 . Even  though I entered all commands from  /  .
> Trying to get to /etc/fstab  or  /etc/mtab  resulted in permission denied.
> Please pretty please somebody help me further, there is progress however
> slow.  My redhat 7 book says ide designations start with  /dev/hd[letter]
> what if my sys. is SCSI  the book does not cover this point..WF.

http://Zoneverte.org -- information explained
Do you know what your IT infrastructure does?