[Eug-lug] batch convert

Ken Barber mountainman at peak.org
Sun Aug 22 14:12:25 PDT 2004

On Sunday 22 August 2004 12:07 pm, Jacob Meuser wrote:

> There's a lot of overlapping functionality in the IM programs.  You
> can use either mogrify or convert to scale images.  However, the
> convert manpage says, "Convert converts an input file using one
> image format to an output file with a differing image format."
> and the mogrify manpage says "Mogrify transforms an image or a
> sequence of images.  These transforms include image scaling, ...".
>
> So, according to the documentation, one would think that mogrify
> was the "correct" program for scaling images.

Oh.  Now I see.

As far as I can tell, convert and mogrify do exactly the same things -- I
believe that all of the option switches available in one are also available
in the other.  But I can't say that for certain because I can't remember ever
having used mogrify.

The impression I got from the documentation is that they both do the same job,
but mogrify overwrites the original file while convert preserves it, forcing
the user to choose another filename for the output image.

I have used, and continue to use, convert extensively and I have written
several scripts to automate my tasks.  My only real frustration is that
apparently convert doesn't support putting sRGB and gAMA chunks into PNG
images.  'Tis a pity, because I would like to use tagged images that look the
same whether they're being viewed on a (non-color-managed) PC or a (modern,
color-managed) Mac.  Maybe I'll write a little program in C that will insert
the chunks.

Ken
--
"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from
extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended