[Eug-lug] batch convert

Jacob Meuser jakemsr at jakemsr.com
Sun Aug 22 12:07:18 PDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:23:02AM -0700, Ken Barber wrote:
> On Saturday 21 August 2004 11:59 am, Allen Brown wrote:
> > mogrify is a cool command.  I've been using it for many years to
> > make thumbnails automagically.  But there is one thing that
> > annoys me.  There is no way to tell it to make the output filename
> > different from the input file.  So to make a thumbnail I have to
> >   cp ${fullsize}.jpg ${thumbnail}.jpg
> >   mogrify -options ${thumbnail}.jpg
> >
> > Do you know of a more efficient way to do this?
>
> That isn't what mogrify is designed to do.  The command you want is 'convert'.

There's a lot of overlapping functionality in the IM programs.  You
can use either mogrify or convert to scale images.  However, the
convert manpage says, "Convert converts an input file using one
image format to an output file with a differing image format."
and the mogrify manpage says "Mogrify transforms an image or a
sequence of images.  These transforms include image scaling, ...".

So, according to the documentation, one would think that mogrify
was the "correct" program for scaling images.

--
<jakemsr at jakemsr.com>