[Eug-lug] Walters request=bring Debian disks

Max Lemieux max at lunarlogic.com
Fri Aug 20 08:34:24 PDT 2004

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with Mandrake. If you want to post your
hardware details and specific problem areas with Mandrake, perhaps members of
this list can make recommendations on distros that could work better for you (or
fixes for your Mandrake issues).

Personally, I think Debian (or one of its variants) would be an excellent choice
- it's what I've stuck with after trying Red Hat, Fedora, SuSE, etc.... There is
a handy net-install available from debian.org which bootstraps off one disk and
downloads everything from the Debian servers, allowing for much configuration
glee. :D

On the other hand, if you're tired of fiddling with undocumented hacks, Xandros
(xandros.com) provides a free distribution of their well-crafted,
well-documented (if slightly rigid) Debian-based OS. You might look into that if
you've been having hardware issues - ALL my hardware "just works" out of the box
under Xandros, although compiling bleeding edge software is another story... :P

Regards,
Max