[Eug-lug] Newbie Thank You and a Question

Bob Miller kbob at jogger-egg.com
Wed Aug 18 12:24:55 PDT 2004

nyal wrote:

> Do have another question.....
>
> Add a CD ROM to make burning a bit easier.  The CDROM shows up on my desktop
> as being mounted at /mnt/cdrom.  I've tried to use it to view files on a CD
> but no luck.  Thought I'd try to unmount/remount it but when I did I get the
> message:
>
> umount: /mnt/cdrom is not mounted (according to mtab)

Don't edit /etc/mtab.  The system (mostly the mount and umount
commands) create and modify that file to show what they've done.  It
is more or less obsolete now, since the same information is in
/proc/mounts, which is generated by the kernel and is always correct.

The file you may want to edit is /etc/fstab.  Here's the relevant
line from mine.

none            /mnt/cdrom      supermount      dev=/dev/cdrom,ro,--	0 0

The only problem is that I use supermount.  Supermount is great, and I
recommend it, but now Linux distributions include it.  Mandrake does,
and Gentoo does, but I don't know beyond those two.  If you have
supermount, put a line like that in your /etc/fstab.

How can you tell whether your kernel supports supermount?  Try
this command.

	# mount -t supermount -o dev=/dev/cdrom,ro,-- none /mnt/cdrom

If that works, you can use supermount.  Under supermount, you don't
need to explicitly mount and dismount each disc -- just access
/mnt/cdrom and it'll take a couple of seconds to mount the disc when
you start.

If you don't have supermount, put a line like this in /etc/fstab.

/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660 noauto,owner,ro	0 0

Then mount the CD-ROM using the GUI (I don't know exactly how,
probably right-click the icon) or mount it through the command line
like this.

	$ mount /mnt/cdrom  (you don't have to be root)

and dismount like this.

	$ umount /mnt/cdrom

Let us know how it goes...

kbobsoft software consulting