[Eug-lug] Newbie Thank You and a Question answered?

Russ Johnson russj at dimstar.net
Wed Aug 18 11:08:41 PDT 2004

nyal wrote:

>On Wednesday 18 August 2004 12:10 pm, nyal wrote:
>
>I've had a thought but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track.....
>
>I'm thinking that if I add:
>
>none /mnt/cdorm supermount
>rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,sync,dev=/dev/cdrom,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,
>codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
>
>things might be hunkydory?  If so, does it matter where I put the line in
>mtab?

/etc/mtab is not a file you edit. It's changed by the system, as things
are mounted and unmounted.

IF /dev/cdrom exists and is valid, then you can issue the command:

$mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

and mount should do the rest.

You'll need to unmount it with the umount command to eject the CD. Yes,
that's right, umount does not have an "n" between the u and the m.

Depending on what's in the file /etc/fstab, you may be able to just do
"mount /mnt/cdrom" to mount the cd.

Russ