[Eug-lug] update on gentoo install

Timothy Bolz bolzt at efn.org
Sat Aug 14 13:07:14 PDT 2004

Well I got the two cd's from the Gentoo website.  Did a reinstall same
problem.  It still want' to go on the intertnet when I emerge -k
package_name.

I thought if I could get dialup going I could --fetchall everthing that way.
Well I downloaded the files it said it needed for wvdial and pppconfig and
copied them to /usr/portage/distfiles.  I got both programs working but I
only can dial out as root which not a good thing.  I've added myself to the
dialout group.  Which should allow me to use wvdial or pon but I still can't
dial out as a user. I've done a symbolic link to /dev/modem and still
nothing.

I think if you don't have a network connection Gentoo would not be a good
choice.  I would think follow the direction and in the Gentoo handbook and I
should have been up and running.  Something is wrong or not thought out.  I
know Debian does a lot of testing before it's put out.  And Debian isn't the
easies install.  But at least I could install it form CD.  I've been working
on this for a week now.  It's different than Debian and I'm getting acustomed
to it.  I don't know what to do, short of taking my box over to a friend with
hight speed and then doing the install.  Any suggestions?  Possibly try
installing it without a network connection and see if you run into the same
problems.

Tim